Monday, October 5, 2009

Adulthood

Alright, I have officially entered the age where adulthood is NO LONGER FUN.

Actually that's not entirely true - I was there a few years ago but I didn't have a blog then so I'll share now.

There are things about adulthood that my mean parents never warned me about. Wait, they're not mean they're awesome. Oh, and they did warn me - I simply didn't feel that I would EVER fall into that category.

Here is my list of "cool" things I looked forward to when I was a kid:
  • Not having an enforced bedtime
  • Not having to follow the rules
  • Not having to go to school
  • Having a job
  • Having my own money (see above item)
  • Getting to eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted
  • Not being forced to do chores
  • Not being forced to take naps

Here is reality:

  • Staying up too late only results in tired, cranky people the next day with bags under their eyes. Not pretty.
  • Strangely even though I no longer live under my parents roof I still have rules to follow
  • If I HAD gone to school when I was free to I'd be a nurse right now - making a decent living.
  • Having a job isn't as cool as I thought it was - it means you're supposed to be some where kinda' early in the morning and stay there for kinda' a long time. (However, with that being said, I am so blessed to have a job right now in the current economic situtation that America finds itself in - so I'm not really complaining)
  • Sure, having my own money is great. But I have a problem - where does it all go? Oh, that's right, bills.
  • Getting to eat whatever, whenever - I'm sure it is a great thing - but who's doing the cooking? Oh, thats right, me... :)
  • Not being forced to do chorse. Well, that results in a messy house and a "conversation" between husband and wife about who's turn it is to take out the trash and do the dishes.
  • I don't have a daily nap time any more. Sad.

All in all:

  • I HAD IT GREAT as a kid and I didn't know it - just like mom and dad said
  • Hindsight really is 20/20
  • NAP TIME should be required at work

I suppose I should have prefaced this post with a warning that I'm cranky today and not really wanting to be an adult - but doing so would have been very adult-like of me and I don't want to. So there. And, you're not the boss of me. And all the other childish things I could say... :)

Jenny (the not so grown up)

P.S. Sorry if I offended anyone with the "you're not the boss of me" statement. My brother and I use to say that to eachother all the time and it's become the family joke.

P.S.S. If there are any children reading this post - please, please, PLEASE, listen to your parents about how good you have it now - you really do. I promise. Also, anytime you're given the oportunity to take a nap - DO NOT PASS IT UP. Trust me.

2 comments:

  1. Jenny, I just have to share this with all my girls. Love this post. I'm forwarding your blog to my daughter (the one that just had the baby) because she will probably really identify with you. Hugs, Marla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marla, thanks for the encouragement. I hope your daughter is recovering quickly. Jenny

    ReplyDelete